Friday, June 15, 2018

Double Review: Monstrum & Solis (The 4th Talisman Book 3 & 2)



 MONSTRUM   
The 4th Talisman Series: Book 2



In the third volume of the Fourth Talisman series, the hunt is on for the three daevas whose powers saved the world once before….


On the wave-tossed White Sea, realm of smashers and sea monsters, a ship is carrying Nazafareen and Darius to the Isles of the Marakai, where the wise woman Sakhet-ra-katme has guarded the secret of the talismans for centuries. But another is searching too, a man born in the brutal prison of the Kiln, who plans to use the talismans to free the Vatras and their mad king. Between them stands a young Marakai girl, ignorant of her own powers. From the moonlit treasure vaults of the Isles to the emperor’s lavish palace in Tjanjin, Nazafareen and Darius face their deadliest and most cunning foe yet.
In the mountain fastness of Val Moraine, the Pythia’s minions are on the scent of another talisman, this one from the Danai clan. Trapped behind a thick wall of ice, everyone’s going slightly mad—the perfect cauldron of suspicion and betrayal for Thena, who sees a chance to redeem her failure and bring the talisman back to Delphi. Then she’ll be free to indulge her twisted obsession with Darius—and make him pay.
And in Samarqand, Javid is drawn into the treacherous currents of a royal succession. When the old king dies and his son takes the throne, the depths of the prince’s depravity become clear. A journey north reveals the source of the spell dust he’s addicted to—and leaves Javid with an impossible choice.







Monstrum was utterly BRILLIANT!

The stakes are definitely getting higher!

It was awesome do get to know more of the fire daevas and what revelation it was!
It was also nice to see some things never change like---you know, I think the definition of “pain in the ass” was invented for Mr. The Viper (I keep on forgetting how to spell his real name…)
Javid continued to impress me and I hope he manages to catch up with Katsu at some point…
I really like the variety and multi ethnicity of Kat’s books. I read books with cross-dressing characters, LGDTB couples, gender fluid MCs and all but some of them really felt stereotyped, a bit patronizing in some aspects, so I did find extremely relaxing and refreshing when, for once, things did feel completely normal, so non judgey.  

If on one hand Javid impressed me, Galen continued to be the idiot it was from the start, and in the end, its stupidity comes and bites him in his sorry ass. (I still want to enter the book and slap him, though).

Culach is one of the characters that has probably undergone the most growth since we him the first time (well, back then it was possessed by the mr.pain-in-the-ass but still…) and now I can say I respect him, like him…sort of. Mina and Him are a good match (although I’d rather have some more kissing scenes involving my favorite OTP *coughs* just sayin’)

Gerda the old cow had it coming but too late----I’m so sad for Halldora. 

Victor started to worry me though and I hope he breaks free of the diamond’s influence or whatever the hell is wrong with him. Also, I can’t bear the thought of something bad happening to his buddy Mithre, he looks such a fun sweet guy (Do you read me Kat, leave him alone!)

So much happens in this book, including getting to know the Oracle’s true identity and Thena’s definitive to the loony bin.

If while reading Solis I was interested in the red haired guy now I can confirm it…I like him!He is no good but at least not as psychotic like his sister and…well, what can I say? I love not-exactly-good-but-not-too-bad boys (You can say he’s kinda hot and not just in figurative way lol). The fighting scene between him and Nazi was total badass and I loved every second of it! I fear Nazi is slipping to the dark side but ---this is too exciting!

Speaking of Nazi, I’m sorry her quest to find a way to recover her memories had an abrupt stop. Although, she seemed to accept it, I have the feeling that it isn’t exactly it and I’m pretty sure all is not lost. And well, at the moment she has more pressing things to worry about hasn’t she? I can’t wait for the next book….


Rating:
 5 blossoms

PS: In my mind, I have founded (for my personal entertainment) the hot-bad-boys club (now called the bad boy crush club) …so far it has three members, one is a fire daeva, the other you know from the 4th element series (I’ll give you a hint: necromancer…) and the last one is from the 13th gate book (hint: crime lord?). Kat you have ruined me!
Oh and you're welcome to club, we offer free membership. 

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



 SOLIS 
The 4th Talisman Series: Book 2


In the second volume of the Fourth Talisman series, Nazafareen’s path takes a twist, setting her on a journey into the heart of the maelstrom…

It’s been a thousand years since the Avas Vatras tried to burn the world to ashes. A thousand years since they were imprisoned in the brutal wasteland called the Kiln. But revenge is a dish best served cold—even, apparently, by the children of fire.
In Delphi, Nazafareen joins forces with the followers of Dionysius to rescue her friends from the Oracle’s dungeons and seek out the three talismans whose extraordinary powers stopped the Vatras before. With her own breaking magic growing stronger by the day, she must walk a razor’s edge to control her volatile temper. And if the Vatras find the talismans first, their last hope will die.
In the frozen wastes of the Valkirin range, Victor strikes an uneasy bargain with bitter enemies to keep his tenuous grip on the Maiden Keep. The other holdfasts are coming for him. But it’s a traitor within Val Moraine’s walls that may prove to be his downfall.






Where do I start? Well, let me tell you...this book is so GOOD I actually re-read it, which is almost unprecedented and very,very rare. That should tell you what kind of fantastic read Solis is.

There is a lot going on (and no, I won't be more precise on what...you will have to read it! Sorry not sorry!) with the plot thickening page after page, along with the Oracle's plan one could say...
There also a lot of characters involved in it but Kat Ross is so good she manages to hold everything it together with ease and without making the reader feel too overwhelmed or confused.

The only complaint-not-really-a-complaint I have with this novel is that my loves (they go by the names of Darius & Nazafareen) are separated for too long. Although their heart-wrenching reunion makes it worthwhile (I love some bit angst, but Kat...a little bit...NOT TOO MUCH!). Please allow me a bit of fangirling, I love them too much...to the point of wanting to wrap them in blankets, offer them an hot chocolate, some biscuits and a pat on the back.
Okay this is getting out of hand but still...Darius & Nazafareen are so wonderful together. Even though Nazi has this terrible knack for trouble (really girl...).

I have seldom encountered an author that manages to get her characters right under your skin as skillfully as Kat Ross. For example I couldn't help but wanting to slap Nazi & Darius when their were being stupid (Still love youuuu though) or not-so-silently cursing Gerda the old cow to be as mad as an old cow, really. And what to say about Thena and the Oracle? I hate them, I really really hate them and wish for their most gruesome death. (I'm totally invested in see them dead...)
While I sort of loved to hate Neblis and respected her as a villain, I just hate these two psychopaths mentioned above.

Last but not least...Solis does not end in a cliffhanger (mercifully!) but that doesn't mean you aren't left craving the next book in the series, and the next and the next and the next...



Rating

4 blossoms


No comments:

Post a Comment