Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Review: A Conjuring of Light (SHADES OF MAGIC #3)

REVIEW: 
A CONJURING OF LIGHT BY V.E.SCHWAB (SHADES OF MAGIC #3)



  THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...
The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.




(spoilers are in white)



Conjuring of Light was a fast paced and heart-wrenching emotional roller-coaster.
Also a blood bath...

Because I feel I have said everything there was to say about Schwab's writing and because I'm basically an emotional wreckage...I'll just say that Kell & Lila together were amazing (and hot), the banter between Alucard & Kell epic, Rhy's relationship with his brother touching and the new ship ( Alucard x Rhy ) fantastic. After spending two books hating Holland, in the end my heart went out for him.
Throughout the book my poor heart broke several times: for Calla, for Hastra (I was infinitely pleased when Kell's cut Jasta's throat...), for Holland and for Kell's loss

The final chapter and scene had me crying and laughing at the same time...

Said this, I now need to rant about the loose ends. Yes because I'm hoping and longing with all my heart that those loose treads were left loose for a reason. Plus all the lines saying that this wasn't the end but a new beginning...well...well...

Dear Victoria, 

And I quote:

"(...)now every time he summoned fire, or willed water or conjured anything from blood, it pained him. Every single time it hurt, a wound at the very center of his being. But unlike a wound, it refused to heal. Magic had always been a part of Kell, as natural as breathing. Now he couldn't catch is breath. The simplest acts took not only strength, but will. The will to suffer, to be hurt. (hide spoiler)] (I was so heartbroken to read this, it felt like being punched in the gut..."
- You need to fix Kell. Seriously...what will he do now? how will he manage?
- I need to know what happens in White London now...
- The favour Maris required of Lila...
There is enough for a sequel (or an additional trilogy) and I refuse to be left hanging like this...*cries*

Yes I'm fervently hoping that everything Victoria Schwab left open, she did so intentionally. Until then...Anoshe...




Rating: 5 blossoms  
 
Rating for the overall series: 5++ would not suffice!

No comments:

Post a Comment