Monday, February 27, 2017

Review: Some Fine Day by Kat Ross

Author: Kat Ross
Title: Some Fine Day
Blurb:A generation ago, continent-sized storms called hypercanes caused the Earth to flood. The survivors were forced to retreat deep underground and build a new society.
This is the story that sixteen-year-old Jansin Nordqvist has heard all of her life.
Jansin grew up in a civilization far below the Earth’s surface. She’s spent the last eight years in military intelligence training. So when her parents surprise her with a coveted yet treacherous trip above ground, she’s prepared for anything. She’s especially thrilled to feel the fresh air, see the sun, and view the wide-open skies and the ocean for herself.
But when raiders attack Jansin’s camp and take her prisoner, she is forced to question everything she’s been taught. What do her captors want? How will she get back underground? And if she ever does, will she want to stay after learning the truth?









Here's the thing, I have never been a big fan of dystopian fiction. Yet, in the past years I ended up reading tons of dystopians...

As it is often the case, it might become boring as more often than not the books end up being more or less very unoriginal. However I'm happy to say this is not the case, Kat Ross does not disappoint, delivering an original and action packed book.

Believe me when I saw I found the concept of hurricanes and humanity gone underground extremely new (it was to me, at least) and very cool.
Some fine Day might like the polish her writing has in her recent works but it is still damn good.

The world-building was well done and even if the book was interesting but slow (but not to much)  at first , the pace picked up soon enough...so much I couldn't put it down, it was a crescendo until the very end.

The characters were great, both the main ones and the secondary.
Jasin was a  hell of a characters and I appreciated her greatly. Will was simply adorable. But I loved Nileen, the ship's captain whose name I can't spell, Rafiq and the others.
Besides, I can't stress this too much, the romance never got sappy and there was no love triangle in sight. Yuppie!!

The epilogue left me breathless and there is definitely room for more so...I'm definitely hoping for a sequel.



Rating:



4 blossoms

No comments:

Post a Comment